Monday 3 December 2012

“If it sounds like writing, I rewrite it.”

Elmore Leonard. I need some of his...whatever it is...determination, pragmatism, perseverance, striving for perfection...today.


For over a month now I've been in possession of really valuable, constructive notes from a published author who definitely knows what she's talking about. She's reviewed Of Night And Light (the novel) for me and I think I agree with every single one of her suggestions - and that's not just me being biddable. It was, at the same time, hugely heartening to sense her genuine enjoyment of my work.


In fairness to me, since I received those notes I've been inordinately busy...but now I'm not. For the past three or four days I've been finding lots of different things that needed doing before I started the rewrite.

Urgently.

I've run out of those as well.

Farrah Penn

Here are my excuses:

I do have the feeling, when I've put my heart and soul into a long piece of writing, that I've given my all. I do worry that a rewrite may make it lose its passion and freshness. I am concerned that I'll begin to hate it, every bit of the story and the characters I've so lovingly created.

But most of all, it seems like a...

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                lonely slog.

But hey, I have the choice. I could NOT rewrite and it will never get published!

 OR...


No comments:

Post a Comment