Saturday 29 December 2012

The more you earn, the less you keep,

And now I lay me down to sleep. 
I pray the Lord my soul to take, 
If the tax-collector hasn't got it before I wake.


Love you, Ogden Nash. Well, not so much you as your wit. (I'll draw a veil over your ability to scan.)

Yes, I just completed my tax returns. In a really grown up way, using the services of an accountant. This is not because I earn so much I need an accountant to add up all my towering stacks of bright shiny pennies, but because I thought it would make my life easier.

It did not.

The thing is, the accountant, bless him, and it is, after all, his job, required evidence and receipts for EVERYTHING where I have been used to approximating and estimating and hoping for the best.

It was a serious wake up call.


I simply couldn't provide a lot of what he asked for. I am now waiting for thirty lashes via email which can be quite painful in black and white.

Next year, though...next year...

Things will probably be just the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment