Thursday 31 May 2012

Our anxiety does not empty tomorrow of its sorrows, but only empties today of its strengths.

 Charles Spurgeon, who said this, was a 19th century British Particular Baptist preacher (and I had to look up what a Particular Baptist is, so to save you the trouble, it refers to a very strict Baptist) 

 

He's not very exciting looking, I'm afraid, so here instead is an image of anxiety.

 


(Maybe I should have stuck to Charles Spurgeon?)

Anyway, I'm wondering if the famous and wonderful Seth Godin has started reading my blog. By the way, that's not a serious suggestion. It would be akin to J.K. Rowling contacting me for story ideas.

It's just that yesterday, after my posting about the stress caused by striving for perfection, after a few minutes I received THIS - almost as if to me personally, not to all the other 76 million zillion, or whatever number it is, who follow him.


"Perhaps your anxiety is specific to magicians" 

"I found that quote in a strangely-translated instruction manual for an obscure but beautiful trick. 

But it has wide applicability.


Perhaps your anxiety is specific to artists or musicians or to anyone who has to stand up and stand out and stand for something.

It turns out that your anxiety isn't specific at all. Perhaps it is due to the fact that you're trying to control things that you can't possibly control.

Your anxiety might merely be a sign that you care deeply about your work.

Anxiety is almost never a useful emotion to carry around. Even for magicians.

Now that you've been reminded that you care, it pays to let the anxiety go.

Good riddance."


Magic, eh?

1 comment:

  1. We should work on ourself. We should work on our spirit and personality growth. It is key to happy and happy life.

    ReplyDelete