Saturday 26 May 2012

I appreciate the misunderstanding I have had with Nature over my perennial border.

I think it is a flower garden; she thinks it is a meadow lacking grass, and tries to correct the error.


Thank you Sara Stein. In my case, Nature thinks my flower bed lacks Ground Elder (Hissssssssssssss!)

Ground Elder is a clever plant. First of all, rabbits don't like to eat it. (Rabbits DO like to eat lettuces and herbs and, frankly, USEFUL things, but they don't like to eat Ground Elder. Perhaps I could train them?)


Second, Ground Elder has a root system like underground spaghetti. If you break it, each little section regenerates into ANOTHER Ground Elder, so it's almost the case that trying to eliminate it actually produces MORE.


At the moment, I'm feeling all skippy-happy, at one with the world, celebrating the abundance of Nature...

but I STILL HATE GROUND ELDER.

No comments:

Post a Comment