Thursday 15 September 2011

We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

I won't insult you by telling you that Oscar Wilde wrote that.

So what is it about me? Why can't I just be MODERATE? I seem to be incapable of accepting my limitations. This is what they call a double-edged sword. Whoever they are.

Note: I have no intention of killing anyone. Except possibly myself, with unfulfilled expectations.

Double edge = Good? Does it?

This is me. I start to jog for gentle exercise. Then I want to run marathons. I learn the violin - Suzuki method - and I want to play the Brahms violin concerto, preferably at the Albert Hall. I write screenplays. I want to win a BAFTA. I learn to ride, starting at the ridiculously late age of 47. Hickstead Derby here I come.

One edge of my sword. Good - very high level of motivation, always striving, always daring...

The other edge of my sword. Not So Good - (though I have run a marathon) - sometimes, I have to accept that I am unlikely to achieve my ambitions.

The thing is to keep the Good Edge sharpened.


Isn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment