Friday 16 September 2011

I am thankful for laughter, except when milk comes out of my nose.

Last night, Woody Allen, if I had been drinking milk, I suspect it might have done just that. The rosé wine I drank in the interval very nearly did. It was a new experience - not the drinking of rosé wine, but going to our local cinema to see a live screening of a National Theatre play.


I was curious to see how a theatre production would translate directly to the screen. I needn't have wasted a single second worrying about it. It was completely brilliant. It was as though we were there, best seats in the house. Not that I'm suggesting for a moment that actually going to the theatre could ever be replaced - but this made something accessible to us that we might have missed otherwise.

I swear I have NEVER laughed so much in my life. It's impossible to pick out one performance above all the rest. Of course James Corden was wonderful, and worked so hard, pouring so much sweat I can't imagine why he's still so...plump... (I can't see how anyone could replace him really) but if I were forced to choose, it would be Tom Edden, who played 87 year old waiter, Alfie.

I was hurting from laughing so much.

For us, it was an extra treat that it was set in Brighton, a place we know so well. Several scenes took place outside and inside a pub we have frequented many a happy time - The Cricketers Arms.


It cost us £25 plus wine, which wasn't compulsory after all - and was a ten minute drive from home. For us to go to the theatre in London...what with train fares, ticket prices, food and drink, the need for Peter to take time off work, the fact we don't get home until the wee small hours...honestly we don't see much change out of £150...

I see One Man, Two Guvnors is being screened across the world again on Thursday, 22nd and 29th of September.


SEE IT IF YOU CAN!



No comments:

Post a Comment