Thursday 14 July 2011

“How much of human life is lost in waiting.”

I think Ralph Waldo Emerson has such a kind face.



(I love his writing too, I should add so as not to appear shallow.)

This started off as a blog about me deciding to redesignate myself as Waity Katy - not waiting for a prince (I have one of those already and one is quite enough, thank you.) No, this was about waiting to hear back from literary agents, production companies, clients...and the difficulty I have, sometimes, in getting on with other things while I AM waiting - which equals ALL THE TIME.



Yawn!















Instead, you might be relieved to hear, Ralph Waldo Emerson reminded me of my time at university in Liverpool. Particularly, American Studies with Hermione Lee, my absolute heroine in those dim and distant days. Haven't you heard of her? Why, she's practically FAMOUS.














To Hermione Lee, my eternal gratitude for my love of Edith Wharton and Willa Cather, enriched by reading her biographies.

And particularly, my devotion to anything by and about Virginia Woolf.










but above all, without Hermione Lee, I would never have taken to wearing stripy stockings. To me, it marked me out as an intellectual. And FRIGHTFULLY grown up.













Who needs a brain when they've got stripy stockings?

No comments:

Post a Comment