Tuesday 28 June 2011

Run like hell and get the agony over with.

Clarence De Mar, American marathon runner said this.

So - last night was the first meeting of the Beginners' Running Club. I count myself as a beginner because the last time I ran was in 1985.

I mean, I've run for buses and away from swarms of wasps since then but not RUN, as in for exercise.















In 1985, I took up running as a way of creating an identity for me. I had three very young children and I felt as though I, myself, had disappeared, however much I completely adored the children and still do.

I trained very early in the mornings before Peter went to work and ended up running two half marathons and one whole one.

But that was TWENTY SIX YEARS AGO.

Gulp.

Cath and I ran together last night. To our utter amazement, we ran about a mile, up hill and down, hardly walking at all and it was not that difficult.












We were gobsmacked too, and not a little proud of our ageing bodies.


No comments:

Post a Comment