Monday 28 November 2011

If you think in terms of a year, plant a seed; if in terms of ten years, plant trees; if in terms of 100 years, teach the people.

...said Confucius.

A year ago today was the first time I wrote this blog.

 I don't know what I expected would happen as a result of starting it. I had a vague idea in my mind that it would give me more exposure as a writer. Has it? Who knows? What I DO know is that I enjoy writing it and more people each day are reading it. That makes me feel good.

It helps me, anyway, by acting as my morning pages:


BAM - I'm in a writing mode as soon as I've finished them. Though whether or not Julia Cameron would count them as proper pages, I don't know. She'd probably sneer.

APPARENTLY to become a successful blogger is 'simple but not easy,' according to Aman Basanti, that extraordinarily well-known consumer psychology writer that you've never heard of. (Successful blogger? What IS that?)



"Most bloggers fail because (like dieters) they can’t stick to their resolutions. They can’t stick out the tough times when no one reads their blog..."



"Most bloggers won’t succeed because they’re unable to do simple things over extended periods of time. Maybe years."

I AM able to do simple things over extended periods of time. In fact, in an obsessive-compulsive way, I find such ritual reassuring.

I've done the seed bit. Now I'm going for the tree.

 
Happy anniversary, little blog!

2 comments:

  1. Your dogged perseverance is inspiring. Congratulations on the year, I look forward to the next year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Bill. I love doing it and it gives me pleasure that other people might enjoy reading it.

    ReplyDelete