Tuesday 29 November 2011

“I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about.”

...me and Oscar Wilde both.

He DIDN'T say that on his deathbed, he said 'Either that wallpaper goes, or I do.' (allegedly)

I wasn't preoccupied with death until I saw that image, despite an enormous blister on my left heel. Now I am. I hope I say something memorable on my deathbed but I expect that, as usual, I'll think of it ten minutes too late.

Here are some other Great Things To Say With Your Dying Breath:





"I should never have switched from Scotch to Martinis."








"They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist. . . "

General John Sedgwick, Union Commander, d. 1864  
Killed in battle during US Civil War.

(I apologise for being crass but this made me hoot with laughter. )




  "Get my swan costume ready."

The immortal (but not for long) words of Anna Pavlova, of dying swan and gooey meringue desserts fame.




But I think THIS is the sort of thing I am likely to say,
just because I'm British and therefore suffering from a
terminal facility for understatement, rather like Lady Mary Wortley Montagu, writer, d. 1762

"It's all been very interesting."

 Hasn't it just!

No comments:

Post a Comment