Sunday 11 December 2011

I prefer winter and fall, when you feel the bone structure of the landscape - the loneliness of it, the dead feeling of winter.

Something waits beneath it, the whole story doesn't show...

Andrew Wyeth's The Hunter
And Andrew Wyeth's quote. I love his work. It poses so many questions. Fascinating and beautifully bleak.

 It's come to me that I could look at his pictures for inspiration for my writing. I want my stories to have layers of meaning like that - something waiting beneath.

Winter 1945
I could weave such stories...

I came to know the work of Andrew Wyeth through my mother. She was a wonderful painter but she would always, always copy other people's work. I never once saw her letting her imagination break loose. I often wondered why.

Her very best piece hangs in our bedroom and it's this:

Christina's World
"The woman in the painting is Christina Olson. She suffered from polio, a muscular deterioration that paralyzed her lower body. Wyeth was inspired to create the painting when through a window from within the house he saw her crawling across a field."

My mum should have made her living as a forger of Fine Art!

No comments:

Post a Comment