Thursday 8 December 2011

Age wrinkles the body. Quitting wrinkles the soul.

General MacArthur said this. As a non-American, I do know who he was but, I must admit, when I hear his name I think of a song. A song about a park named after him.

"MacArthur Park is melting in the dark,
All the sweet, green icing flowing down,



I DO apologise, General MacArthur, sir. I'm sure your military record in the Second World War is FAR more important than this. Permission to stand down?

Yes, quitting. Or not quitting. I'm determined not to get wrinkles on my soul.


I've got a lot of Not Quitting to do today, then.
  • The general purpose Not Quitting that is the daily lot of a writer seeking publication 
  • The more particular Not Quitting, trying to find respite care for my sister which I thought I had achieved but it's fallen through
  • The ridiculous Not Quitting, using the sewing machine to repair Alfie's rug. (I have so far broken two needles but Peter saying to me 'It will be very difficult for you. Why not let me do it at the weekend?' makes me Absolutely Determined that I'll persevere and succeed.)
  • The physical Not Quitting, going to circuit training tonight even though I've got a cold coming and feel like...rubbish...
Wrinkles on my soul? Not likely, General MacArthur! (Oh, I see you have an airport as well as a park.)

No comments:

Post a Comment