Thursday 13 October 2011

“One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important.”

...said Bertrand Russell.











Before I tell you how Terribly Important my work is - I don't remember much about my Philosophy degree at the University of Liverpool, if I'm honest, but I DO remember Bertrand Russell and his logic.

Having said that, I've just checked and what I remember is actually Aristotle and his system of logic, which Bertrand Russell undermined after it had been accepted for two thousand years. How mean is that?

Here you go - the syllogism according to Aristotle:

“All men are mortal; Socrates is a man; therefore, Socrates is mortal.”

...if you know that both of the premises are true, you know that the conclusion must also be true. Then Russell has to go and mess with it by saying such things as "Do we really (ever) know that all men are mortal?" because “there is nothing logically self-contradictory about an immortal man."

And that's where my brain starts to hurt...




Anyway - yesterday, as you know, things were going very well...but to complete my Terribly Important Project - submitting all the text (reams of it) and all the images (zillions of them) to the company which is building the Forever India website - was bringing me to the verge of mental meltdown.

Today, I'm going to ignore Bertrand Russell's doctrine of logic because that would definitely have me teetering on the edge, but NOT ignore his statement about the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown.

My work is Terribly Important?

I think not.

(therefore...I am not?)



No comments:

Post a Comment