Wednesday 7 August 2013

Creative Writing: "All my life I've looked at words as though I were seeing them for the first time.”

...said Ernest Hemingway and I said that too yesterday...

I thought I was seeing, or rather hearing, a word for the first time. In fact, I didn't even think it WAS a word. (How little respect I have for Mayor of London Boris Johnson's intellectual capacity!)

Yes, hmmmmmmmm!
The word was ACCULTURATE...

'Boris Johnson is sending Prince George a tricycle modelled on London's hire bikes as a gift to "acculturate him to the joy of cycling" at the earliest opportunity.'

The radio presenter was of a similar opinion. 'Did he just say acculturate?' he said.

Some words are just plain UGLY and that is one of them. I won't be searching for opportunities for slipping it, all casual-like, into conversations.

I'd much rather make up my own words.


I'm working on a word to describe someone who uses the word acculturate.




No comments:

Post a Comment