Saturday 3 August 2013

About Me: “Why is a raven like a writing-desk?”

“Have you guessed the riddle yet?” the Hatter said, turning to Alice again.
“No, I give it up,” Alice replied: “What’s the answer?”
“I haven’t the slightest idea,” said the Hatter”

(I won't insult your intelligence by attributing this quote.)

 I'm not sure why I'm telling you this but if you want to drive me insane, here's how you could do it: Ask me questions to which I don't know the answer and deprive me of all access to Google and reference books.

I think I've mentioned this obsession for Knowing Things before, but this week was particularly bad. My mind just WON'T let up until I've found the answer. All this meditation and yoga...oh yeah, I'm a master (not).

Sometimes...


First, on the radio, we heard the expression 'For Pete's Sake.' It didn't honestly register but then dear husband Pete said 'I wonder what's the derivation of that expression?'

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Then a friend mentioned that she was struggling to remember all the lyrics of 'I like a nice cup of tea in the morning'...


 From that second...SO WAS I.

 Finally,  this morning we were listing to Farming Today (yes, we lead such an exciting life) and there was talk of Double Gloucester cheese and Pete said (I'm sure he does it on purpose) 'Why did they use the word Double?'

Now to me, the answer was obvious, I thought: that Double Gloucester was twice as something or other as Single Gloucester...

BUT

I wasn't absolutely SURE...

For answers to any of the above questions, just ask. I might have time to tell you when I've finished researching online to see if this obsession of mine is A Recognised Psychological Disorder.

That's if the men in white coats haven't dropped by already.

No comments:

Post a Comment