Saturday 28 May 2011

"Don't take it personally."

 I subscribe to a great blog - Seth Godin. 

http://sethgodin.typepad.com/seths_blog/


 

The God in his name is about right. I can't recommend it highly enough for downright SENSE...

 

A few days ago, his blog started...

Don't take it personally!

How else are you supposed to take it?

 

This is tough advice. Am I supposed to take it like a chair? Sometimes it seems as though the only way to take it is personally. That customer who doesn't like your product (your best work) or that running buddy who doesn't want to run with you any longer...

Here's the thing: it's never personal. It's never about you. How could it be? That person doesn't truly know you, understand what you want or hear the voices in your head. All they know is themselves.

When someone moves on, when she walks away or even badmouths you or your work, it's not personal about you. It's personal about her. Her agenda, her decisions, her story.

Do your work, the best way you know how. Is there any other option?

......................

This is SO perfect for me. I printed it out in LARGE FONT and have it stuck above my desk.

I read it a few times yesterday! It worked some of the time...

Then Peter arrived home and said 'Hello, failed authoress.' 
He said it was a joke to lighten my mood...


No comments:

Post a Comment