Monday 4 February 2013

“Words mean more than what is set down on paper."

 "It takes the human voice to infuse them with shades of deeper meaning.”

Maya Angelou. Oh how much I love that book. I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings

Artist not yet discovered
The human voice infuses meaning - and a person's life experiences which define the context.

Pete kindly attributes this, which happened on Saturday, to a generation gap. Thanks Pete.

It was a (slightly younger) friend's birthday. I asked her if she'd received any super special presents. This is what I heard in reply. No word of a lie or exaggeration.

Nikki: Yes, a wee controller.

Me: (face screwed up in bemusement) Oh, how...lovely. (Thoughts going through my head - is she incontinent, then? What an odd present! What is it? Like, some sort of cork?)


Nikki: (on seeing my expression) A Wii controller. You know, for the television.

Duh!

No comments:

Post a Comment