Tuesday 18 October 2011

I write like...someone with multiple personalities, apparently...

Yesterday, I came across this site. Forgive me if I'm late to the party since it was launched last year, but here it is:

The link is here - I'm sure you won't be able to resist racing straight over there. Not until you've read my blog...OF COURSE.

Anyway,  I Write Like is "a website created by Russian software programmer Dmitry Chestnykh, founder of software company Coding Robots. The site analyzes users' writing samples and, by looking for certain keywords, vocabulary, and style via a naive Bayes classifier, returns the name of a popular writer the sample most closely resembles."

Yeah, the good old naive Bayes classifier. Never be without one.

So...I put in my first sample  - an extract from my novel  Of Night And Light.

Fantastic! I write like Lewis Carroll. What more could a girl want? (A girl who writes fantasy stories for children set in a world populated by peculiar, anthropomorphic creatures.)

 Here's me visibly growing in stature at the very thought of it.

But, wait a minute...one of my characters is called Alice. I shall change the name of the character to Caroline. Now...I write like James Joyce. That to me is probably the ultimate accolade.


I could die happy now, but I have to go and spoil everything by putting in some other samples. Apparently, I also write like Chuck Palahniuk. (He wrote Fight Club) And sometimes I write like Arthur C Clarke (2001: A Space Odyssey) Notice - all of them are male...

What am I to learn from this?
  1. That the site I Write Like is possibly a load of nonsense (but fun)
  2. That, probably, the person I most write like is...Caroline Coxon

All ten of me.

1 comment:

  1. Just for your information - I posted the text of this blog and apparently I write like Cory Doctorow.

    Go figure, Tim Coxon!

    ReplyDelete