Wednesday 5 October 2011

Eclecticism - every truth is so true that any truth must be false.

My thoughts for the day were about the eclectic nature of my interests...writing, horses and all other animals except cuttle-fish, cooking, reading modern literature, the cinema, sport especially football (Liverpool Football Club, at any rate), history, keeping fit, cookery, (yes, you can eat well AND be athletic) music of all sorts, the natural world...oh, it would probably be quicker to write a list of what I'm NOT interested in...

...but just one last addition - philosophy.

I read Philosophy and English Literature at university. In fact, I was a little disappointed in the Philosophy. I had the idea that I would do a lot of Thinking About Important Things...

only probably with my clothes on...but in fact, the course consisted entirely of reading about Other People Who Thought About Important Things.

However...this is just to explain that I'm not a complete slouch when it comes to philosophical thinking. As usual, I looked for a quotation for this blog and found "Eclecticism - every truth is so true that any truth must be false," by F.H. Bradley, British Idealist of the late 19th/early 20th century.

WHAT ON EARTH DOES IT MEAN?

I thought I must be losing my intellectual grip. I thought that perhaps I needed another cup of coffee. So imagine my relief when I read this:

"Bradley's philosophical reputation declined greatly after his death. British idealism was practically eliminated by G. E. Moore and Bertrand Russell  in the early 1900s. Bradley was also famously criticised in A. J Ayer's logical positivist work, Language, Truth and Logic for making statements that do not meet the requirements of positivist verification principle e.g. statements such as "The Absolute enters into, but is itself incapable of, evolution and progress."




So Pah! F.H. Bradley...there's hope for me yet.

(I'd still like to know what it means though. I HATE not understanding things.)

No comments:

Post a Comment