Wednesday 7 March 2012

Organizing is what you do before you do something, so that when you do it, it is not all mixed up.

(It makes me sad, [or is it annoyed?] that if I Google Winnie the Pooh, pages and pages of Disney images come up before E.H. Shepard.)

HOWEVER...when I took the trash can off my head (see yesterday) I could see that part of my trouble is that I'm not very organised. Another part of my trouble is that sometimes I spend a lot of time organising, with To Do Lists and plans and then spend very little time DOING. Sigh. Another paradox.

Option 37B - what I fondly call retrospective planning. Here is how it works: I make a list of everything I've already done.

Then I cross things off.

This works in two contrasting ways.

1. It makes me feel good about what I've achieved
2. It makes me feel bad that I've achieved so little.

Yesterday, I created a table. The title at the top reads 'THINGS I HAVE DONE TO PROMOTE MY CAREER AS A CREATIVE WRITER' 

It contains some uplifting entries - cataloguing those people I've contacted in the past few days, those production companies to whom I've sent scripts following requests, the index cards I've put together for my latest feature length screenplay.

It was only later I noticed that it doesn't mention me actually doing some writing.




No comments:

Post a Comment