Monday 3 September 2012

Why do I keep hitting myself with a hammer?

"Because it feels so good when I stop."

Attributed to Dr. Meredith Grey's-Anatomy, but certainly not as recent as that.

I think it does - but other ways are available!

Today, I've put away my metaphorical hammer and it DOES feel good. Last week was a week to end all weeks in terms of effort put in, hours worked and lack of sleep.

(N.B. Please don't say to me 'you should try working in a salt mine in Senegal. That's REALLY hard work.' I know this.)

There were so many positives, so much learned.

Most of all,


...and I did it with good grace and good humour, which is even better. I KNOW I can always get things done if I set my mind to it but HOW I get things done is another matter.

Another lesson: If I do things to extremes then doing them in a regular way after that seems like a walk in the park.

To put things in context, I generally go to bed between 9 and 10 o'clock - because I get up at 6.30 for the horses. Otherwise, I've been telling myself, I get too tired to function.


Last week's bedtimes: Tuesday - 1 a.m. Wednesday - 1.30 a.m. Thursday - 2 a.m. Friday - 10 p.m (but up extra early to catch train to London) Saturday - 12.30 a.m.

What I noticed was that 12.30 a.m. on Saturday seemed EARLY after the 2 a.m. on Thursday! HOORAY, I'm training myself!

What worked was that I didn't dwell on the fact that I'd had so little sleep. I didn't do my usual thing of thinking 'Woe is me! I've only had three hours sleep. There is NO WAY I can cope with today.' Doing that, in itself, wears me out before I've even started.

I'm not suggesting for a minute that I could carry on with that sort of schedule forever...

 but now I know it's possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment